Vein Problems Can Cause Swollen Legs And Ankles- Here Are Two Simple Tips To Help Reduce Swelling
Both the smaller spider veins and well as the larger rope like varicose veins can cause discomfort and leg distention also known as edema. Read on to see what the doctors at the Shulman Vein and Laser Center of New York and Long Island suggest to help your vein problems.
The first and least difficult thing to do is to remain active. Every time you walk, you are squeezing the muscles in your legs and also contracting the leg veins so blood can be pushed back towards the heart. Often we find leg vein patients even tell us that they feel better with walking then just standing in one place. This simple act of walking can help provide relief from swollen legs, feet, and ankles as well as the symptoms of throbbing and achiness.
This has benefits even beyond the health of your veins as physical activity is known to reduce hypertension, diabetes, stroke, and heart disease to name just a few of the perks.
Mind Your Pants…..
The clothes you wear below the waist also can be causing excessive fluid to collect in the legs. If very tight stockings or the overly tight bottoms of outfits like gym pants are to tight (below the level of the waist) they may be acting like tourniquets and actually adding to the fluid buildup. An easy way to imagine this is to think of what happens when a tourniquet is put on your arm to draw blood. The overly restrictive and compressive band, easily compresses the veins and blood flow in them is restricted. This stagnation of venous blood flow often leads to leg enlargement.
Its also important to understand that support hose may help reduce the distention in the legs but its very important that they fit well and help ‘push’ blood back upwards from the legs. Good fitting support hose have been described as ‘ice cream cone like’- tighter at the bottom and looser further up the leg.
If you suffer from leg swelling and live in the New York CIty or Long Island area your veins and the their condition can be evaluated at the Shulman Vein and Laser Center by the Dr.s Shulman. They and their medical team perform throught evaluations of the legs and veins and can explain if and how they can help your situation
- Varicose Veins, Spider Veins, And Exercise - June 27, 2016
- Three Types Of People At Risk For Developing Varicose Veins - June 6, 2016
- Information About Laser Treatment Of Leg Varicose Veins - May 18, 2016
- What Causes Varicose Veins During A Pregnancy ? - March 19, 2016
- Are the pains in your legs from Venous Insufficiency? - March 3, 2016
- 12 Questions to Ask Your Long Island Vein Center - November 4, 2015
- Family History and the Prevention Of Varicose Veins—Is It Even Possible? - June 8, 2015
- Varicose Veins Around the Knees - May 6, 2015
- Bleeding From Varicose Veins Or Spider Veins In The Legs - March 10, 2015
- Leg Swelling And Two Potential Ways To Help It - January 27, 2015